This Sunday, we celebrate Pentecost, the birth of Christ’s Church, when the Holy Spirit descended upon the Apostles and confirmed them in the faith. At Pentecost, the Holy Spirit graced them with the gifts of Wisdom, Understanding, Counsel, Fortitude, Knowledge, Piety, and Awe. These gifts enabled them to go out and preach the Gospel.
To be effective in fulfilling Christ’s mission, they needed:
- Wisdom, to know and aspire for the things of eternal life
- Understanding of the Divine truths
- Counsel of the Holy Spirit, to know the ways of God, so that we may fulfill God’s plan
- Fortitude, to bear their own crosses and fate awaiting them
- Knowledge, to know God, as well as themselves; to grow in perfection and saintly ways
- Piety, to find honor in serving God
- Awe, to be filled with reverence for God
Get Ready to Receive the Gifts of the Holy Spirit
We are just like that scraggly group of men who became the first leaders of Christ’s Church on earth. Just like the Apostles, we, too, need these gifts, if we are to fulfill God’s plan for each one of us. We receive these gifts of the Holy Spirit at the sacrament of Confirmation. Then, every Pentecost, we ask the Holy Spirit to continue giving us these gifts. We need every one of them to do God’s will. As with the Apostles, so too, with us – the Holy Spirit will not disappoint! So, get ready to receive an outpouring of grace this Sunday.
As we approach this Pentecost Sunday, I pray that the Holy Spirit showers you with these gifts, which are also virtues! Then, I pray that you make good use of these gifts, for the glory of God. Happy Pentecost, everyone!
If you would like to purchase an autographed copy of my book, Adventures of Faith, Hope and Charity: Finding Patience, then click here.