Do you carry Christ’s love within you? Without thinking, many of us would most likely say, yes! I would like for you to think about this question more deeply before answering. Let me ask you a few questions to help you assess the correct answer:
Do you love your neighbor unconditionally?
- When you think of the massive number of people walking up from Honduras and Guatemala, seeking refuge in safer lands, do you feel a sense of compassion for them? Do you understand their plight? Can you recognize them as your brothers and sisters in Christ?
- When someone sins against you, can you forgive that person? Is it in your heart to grant that person mercy?
- How well do you “know” your physical neighbors within your neighborhood or apartment complex? Do you generously give a helping hand, or a listening ear?
So, now I ask you again…
Do you carry Christ’s love within you?
- If you can see the people from Central America as fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, in need of our compassion and care, then you carry Christ’s love in your heart. If, on the other hand, you see these people as something less than human, as criminal, and you want to close the border to them, then Christ’s love is on flicker mode within your heart. Try to see the problem through the eyes of the people seeking asylum. Do unto others as you would want done to you.
- If you can forgive others and grant mercy, you carry Christ’s love in your heart. Now, on the other hand, if you find it difficult to forgive and grant mercy, preferring to hold grudges, then your heart of ice needs the warmth of Christ’s love.
- If you lend a helping hand, or provide a listening ear to your neighbor, then you carry Christ’s love in your heart. However, if you don’t even know your neighbor’s names, then allow Christ’s love to set our heart on fire. Get to know the people around you. Show some care and concern for them. Love given is love returned a hundredfold.
When we give love, it is because we carry Christ’s love in our hearts. However, when we act vitriolic, we stifle the flame of Christ’s love. Live a Christ-like life and you will set your heart on fire for Christ, with a light that will shine for all the world to see. And as moths to a flame, you will bring souls to Christ.
If you would like to purchase an autographed copy of my book, Adventures of Faith, Hope and Charity: Finding Patience, then click here.