Today is the Feast Day of Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque, a French nun and mystic, from the 17th century. Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque was always religious, from early childhood on. However, as she grew into her teen years, she strayed a bit. Yet, even with the straying, and maybe because of it, she is known to have received visions of Jesus. One night, when she was out with friends, Jesus appeared to her, scourged at the pillar. In this vision, Jesus was not happy with Margaret Mary’s behavior. Thus, she repented for straying away from Jesus. In 1672, at 25, Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque took her final vows as a nun; and the visions continued. One day, in one of her visions, Jesus told her to establish a devotion to His Sacred Heart.
Enthronement of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Today, we call this devotion, the Enthronement of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. In this devotion, a family enthrones their home to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. He is declared King of the household. To remind the family of Jesus’ presence within the home, a portrait of Jesus hangs in a prominent place within the home. In 2012, my husband and I enthroned our home to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Jesus’ promises were too many to pass up! We felt compelled to do it. I can attest that Jesus fulfills His promises! The picture on our mantle indicates our declaration that Jesus is head of our household. Anyone who enters our foyer sees His portrait. We receive may comments of the peace that people sense when they enter our home.
Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque Shares Jesus’ Promises
When a family agrees to enthrone their home to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Jesus, in turn, makes the following 12 promises:
- I will give them all the graces necessary in their state of life.
- I will give peace in their families and will unite families that are divided.
- I will console them in all their troubles.
- I will be their refuge during life and above all in death.
- I will bestow the blessings of Heaven on all their enterprises.
- Sinners shall find in my Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.
- Tepid souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall rise quickly to great perfection.
- I will bless those places wherein the image of My Heart shall be exposed and honored, and will imprint My love on the hearts of those who would wear this image on their person. I will also destroy in them all disordered movements.
- I will give to priests who are animated by a tender devotion to my Divine Heart the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
- Those who promote this devotion shall have their names written in my Heart, never to be effaced.
- I promise you in the excessive mercy of my Heart that my all-powerful love will grant to all those who communicate on the First Friday in nine consecutive months, the grace of final penitence: they will not die in my disgrace, nor without receiving their Sacraments. My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.
How You Might Enthrone Your Home
If you would like to embrace this devotion, and enthrone your home to the Sacred Heart of Jesus click here to learn more. Receive these 12 promises from Jesus, and see your life and relationship with Jesus flourish!
Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque, thank you for inspiring each of us to treasure the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Please pray for us.
If you would like to purchase an autographed copy of my book, Adventures of Faith, Hope and Charity: Finding Patience, then click here