Today, we usher in February, known familiarly as the month of love and kindness. During this month, we celebrate Random Acts of Kindness Week, February 12-18. And let’s not forget Valentine’s Day smack-dab in the middle of the month on the 14th. We see hearts everywhere, on boxes of candies and greeting cards; in store-front windows and in commercials on TV, as if we needed a reminder to show our love and kindness to others.
I think it is all well and good that we highlight these virtues during the month of February, as I am all in favor of highlighting virtue, given any opportunity! Yet, we are called to express these virtues day in and day out; not just during one week in February.
Test Your Love and Kindness Quotient
Here’s a little quiz for you to see how much love and kindness flows from you on a regular basis:
- Do you remember to tell the love of your life “I love you” every morning?
- Can you recall doing anything nice for a stranger yesterday? (Maybe you held a door open, or allowed some car to pull in front of you while in traffic).
- Did you help someone in need yesterday? (Maybe you took on additional work to ease a co-worker’s burden, or gave someone a ride that took you a little out of your way).
- Is it customary for you to say please and thank you to those you interact with throughout any given day?
- Do you try to make life easier for others? (Maybe you pick-up after yourself, or put your own dirty dishes in the sink/dishwasher).
If you can answer yes to all five questions above, then love and kindness bursts forth from you, day-in and day out. If on the other hand, you answered no to any of the questions above, well then, you know what you need to do during February; the month of love and kindness. Get busy!