Be Patient! Just Be Patient! Oh my goodness – how many times have you heard that line, or better yet, delivered that line to your children? If you are like me, you have heard it over and over again; and if a mom or dad, delivered it over and over again. However, that is exactly what we need to do; be patient and let things work themselves out in accordance with God’s will and His timeline. He calls us to stick with it and persevere. How can we even think of persevering (another virtue) without patience? If we become impatient and give up, we certainly will not persevere to the finish. If we give up and walk away, we guarantee failure – not my cup of tea! How about you?
Here is a laundry list of possible ways for you to build up patience (through the grace of God):
- Pray for the virtue of patience.
- Read the passages of Scripture outlined for you in the Virtues Guide Second Edition. (If you haven’t downloaded your free copy, do so now, by clicking on the button in the sidebar).
- Put your adversity/suffering into perspective by thinking about the suffering of Christ on the cross for you. Think of persecuted Christians around the world who are giving up their lives for Christ. Then ask yourself, “Is what I am going through really that bad?”
- Put your trust in God, and let go. Let Him do His thing by preparing the way for you. While He does that, wait! Just wait!
- Be grateful (another virtue) for all that you do have, while you wait. Count your blessings! This will assist you in keeping a positive attitude, while you wait.
I just mentioned perseverance above. Well, that is the next virtue up for discussion. Why is perseverance such a valued virtue to possess? We’ll discuss the answer to that question in our next reflection. Don’t miss it!